Saturday, June 30, 2012

Jagger Baldwin Erickson






JAGGER BALDWIN ERICKSON

I am a planner, especially when I am pregnant. I like to count down by how many times I have to go to church, how many more doctor appointments, heck with this pregnancy I was counting down the days! I was so miserable with this pregnancy. I was so extremely uncomfortable, each night when I would go to bed I would tell Jake I can’t do this anymore! I never felt good and felt like I was loosing fluid. I had problems with my other pregnancy with my fluid levels. I ended up having Mallory and McKenna early due to low fluid, but Jace and Madelyn didn’t have problems. My Dr. had scheduled me for an ultrasound at 37 weeks to look at my fluid level, and make sure I had enough. If I had enough fluid, I would get started on July 19th. I woke up on June 22nd and I just didn’t feel good. I didn’t even get out of bed. Jace took care of the other 3 kids for me as I miserably laid in bed. I was having very strong contractions that just kept coming and they hurt. I felt that I was loosing more fluid than normal. After much persistence from my mom, I called my Doctor. Dr. Volney wanted me to come into the hospital and she would check me. I so didn’t want to go! I didn’t think anything was really wrong, but better to be safe then sorry! Jake came home from work but I felt like I was fine to go by myself. When I left I told the kids I will be back in an hour or so. When I first got to the hospital and the nurse was checking me, nothing seemed to be wrong. I wasn’t dilated yet, but was having constant contractions. When Dr. Volney came in she wasn’t too concerned until she did an ultrasound. The ultrasound showed that I had very little fluid for this baby boy. I could tell on her face that it wasn’t good. She said that we had to get this baby here! I was so shocked and so not ready to have a baby. I started to cry and felt very overwhelmed. I worried that it was too early for him to come, would his lungs be strong enough. I called Jake on the phone to tell him the news. I couldn't really talk without crying. I think he was as surprised as much as I was, but of course he was positive and strong. He is my rock I lean on when things are hard for me. He has a great gift of faith and has a postivie look on most situations. He came up to the hospital immediately. When he got there, I felt so much better and so glad I have him as a husband. I called my Mom and my others sisters that live by me. They are such a great support for me. They took my kids and was going to get everything prepared for this baby.
They put us in a birthing room and started me on pit. Jake and our friend, Adam gave me a blessing, what comfort this gave me, knowing this baby was so special and everything was going to be o.k. Having four other babies I figured it would be pretty routine. I usually get started on pit, start having strong contractions, a couple hours later get my epidural, and then have the baby an hour later. I figured I would have the baby by 3 or 4 that morning. Well, it didn't go that way. I was having contractions, but not strong enough to get an epidural. It was going really slow, so they increased my dose of pit. I started having stronger contraction so I got my epidural, by then it was Saturday morning. I was getting very tired and frustrated. I hadn't slept at all and I couldn't eat any food. My contractions would be strong, then stop, then strong, then stop. They weren't regular enough to make me dilate. I was trying to be patient by I was so confused why this baby wasn't coming. I knew he was going to be little so didn't think it would be hard getting him out. Madelyn was 9lbs so I figured it would be easy. Boy, was I wrong!! By Saturday night(24 hours of labor) I wasn't feeling good. My blood pressure was going really low. I had a very scary experience. My mother-in-law had been visiting me, Jake just left to run the kids to Marie's house. I decided I wanted to go to sleep so Coleen left to let me rest. As soon as she left, I felt like I was going to pass out. It was the weirdest feeling and I could hardly talk or move. The nurses button was on the floor and I couldn't get it. I started panicking. I had my phone, so I called Jake. I don't remember what I said, but that I didn't feel good. Then Coleen came back into the room and I told her I needed the nurse. Then I don't remember anything after that, it was weird because I could hear people but couldn't move or speak. Then I finally woke up to 3 or 4 nurses, Jake and my doctor hoovered over me. They put oxygen on me and gave me a shot of something. My doctor was concerned because I wasn't progressing and my blood pressure was really low. I was extremely exhausted by now and so hungry! She gave me 2 hours to see if I could get him here and if not we would have to do c-section. I so didn't want a c-section on my fifth! Dr. Volny did everything she possibly could do to get this baby here. I had dilated to 7 but his head just wouldn't come. So finally about 2:00 a.m., Dr. Volyn said I would have to have a c-section. I had been in labor for 36 hours and couldn't get him here. I was sad, but just so tired. They prepped me for surgery! I was so scared, never had a c-section and so scared about the baby. As they went to cut my stomach I could feel it and it hurt so bad. They gave me more pain meds, but I still could feel it. So the CNRA gave me a medicine to knock me out and boy, did it ever! I thought I had died! I could just see blue and white. I remember Jake showing me the baby, but it was like at a distance and not clear at all. It was the weirdest experience ever. Never want to feel like that again. Before I went in to have the c-section, because our baby was 5 weeks early and BMH didn't have a NICU, we decided to send him to EIRMC. EIRMC had a team there to transport him to their NICU. When I woke up I had no baby or Jake there. It was very strange not be able to see my baby or Jake. I was so glad my sister, Marie and my mom were there by my side. I felt awful, seriously like I had been run over by a train. Jake and the kids had already decided that his name was Jagger! I had gone back and forth on this, but they said he looked like a Jagger. His name is Jagger Baldwin Erickson. He weighed 6lbs 1 oz. 21 in. long. Our pediatrician felt like his due date was wrong and he was more like 37 weeks. Jake followed the ambulance down to Idaho Falls to be with Jagger. He was doing awesome and breathing on his own. It was sad for me not be able to see him for three days. It was weird for me to have Jake tell me that Jagger was eating and sleeping good, because it was usually me taking care of our babies when they were born. I got discharged 3 days later. Jake drove me to Idaho Falls to see him. I couldn't wait! I just wanted to smell and hold him. It was a special experience to hold him after so long. He was so cute! I was so thankful that he was finally here and doing so good. I felt so blessed after seeing the other babies in the NICU. We took him home 2 days later. Our kids were so excited to have him home! We all love Jagger so much!


Jake ready to go back with me for the C-section!
I had the best nurses!  They took such good care of me and Jagger.
Dr.Brown, our pediatrician was so great.




Jagger, right after he was born.  This is the picture I saw after I woke up!

Look at all those wires!  This was definitely not like my other 4 births.  Usually the pictures of Jake and I holding our babies, but Jagger just has him with a bunch of wires.  Poor baby!


This is how he was transported to EIRMC. 

For 3 days I looked at this pictures over and over again.  I couldn't wait to hold my baby!  It was a long 3 days!

This is my Doctor, Dr. Volney.  She was so great!  If I look out of it, it because I was.  I don't remember much of anything.  Weird, weird experience for me!  Never want to do that again!  This is about the only picture of me of Jagger birth.  I was in labor for so long, not sure why I didn't have more picture of me!
He weighed 6lb 1 oz.

He had a IV on his hand, he kept trying to suck on it. 



All cleaned up and oh, so so cute!  I can smell the new baby smell, just looking at this picture!




 

No comments: