Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Memorable Weekend!


This is the only picture I got all weekend.
Mallory is ready to go to the princess party!
I always forget to take pictures.

We were all excited for Memorial Day Weekend this year! Jake would actually get a day off from work(besides Saturday and Sunday) to have fun with us. On Friday night Jake and Jace decided to have a boy's night out and go to a roping in Rexburg. They were going to stay at Jake's parents that night and rope again all day Saturday. Mallory had been invited to a princess birthday party for one of her friends on Friday night so we decided to have a girls night! Mallory was all excited to get dressed up for the princess party. We went to the party and had a wonderful time. Mallory and I decided that we would get in the hot tub about 10 p.m., by the time we came back in I had 10 missed calls on my cell phone. I knew something was wrong, because I don't usually get that many calls at 10 at night. When I finally got a hold of Mom, she answered saying " Jake's horse fell on him, and he is hurt! My stomach felt like it dropped to my feet. Then she said "It looks like his leg or knee is broke" Then I felt a huge relief knowing it was just his leg. In the horse world you hear all the time how a horse will fall on someone and that they usually end up paralyzed or they die! So I felt that a broken leg was way better than what could have happened just as easy! They did call 911 and the ambulance came and checked him out. They were going to take him to the hospital in Rexburg, but he told them that he would just have someone take him to Bingham, because that is where he works. His Mom and Dad drove him back to Blackfoot. I finally met him at the ER about midnight! He was in pain, but you couldn't really tell because he has such a huge tolerance. (I think he should be the one that has our babies) They looked at the x-ray and the head of the fibula was broken. They put him in a knee brace and gave him some crutches. We got home around 2 a.m. John and Coleen were so nice to stay with our kids while I went to the ER. Jake was really sore the next morning and he couldn't hardly walk. I was happy to get him breakfast, lunch and dinner in bed. He watched movies all day and relaxed his leg. (He has been needing a rest for awhile so he finally got it) We relaxed most of the weekend and took care of Jake. On Sunday we got to see Jake's sister Trena and Kirk and their 3 kids. Jace and Isaac are only 10 days apart so they have so much fun together. Mallory of course had to help Abby get all decked out in princess dresses. Jake's brother Jason and Gini and their 5 kids came also. We had fun with all them all. We are glad we live close to Jason and Gini and get to see them often.

On Monday we went to the Moreland Cemetery to see the graves. I was trying to explain to Mallory why go to the cemetery, but it scared her because she was confused as to why would we want to see dead people. Once she got there she loved to ask everyone who had died and how old they were. My mom and dad, Ashley's fam, Amber & Spence, and Nate and Meggan came for a BBQ after. We had lots of fun. Jake and I have such great families! We feel so blessed to have them in our lives!

Tuesday we went to the orthopedic dr. He was very surprised that Jake didn't tear some tendons or ligaments. While doing some motion tests on his knee, he kept asking him if he was sure that this doesn't hurt? He was very surprised and by having such good strength in the knee, he let Jake take off the knee brace and no longer needed the crutches. Having tree trunks for legs can be a good thing. (for those of you not following, Jed and Jason tease Jake about his very large thigh and calf muscles and often refer to his legs as tree trunks) He wants Jake to put weight on it and let pain be his guide. Jake didn't miss any work yet. Actually today he went to work around 8:30 a.m and won't be home until 10p.m. or 11. We feel so blessed to have noting too major happen with his accident. Since Friday I have thought so much about life. I am so thankful I have such a wonderful husband. I don't know what I would do without him. I need to make everyday the best, because you never know when it will be taken away.

10 comments:

mandy said...

I'm so glad that it all turned out o.k. How scary!

Adam has huge calves also. One guy asked him, "Do you walk a lot?" Yeah, because THAT is how you get big calves.

Mallory looks so cute in that picture!

Josh & Joni said...

We're so glad he is OK! Life is precious!

Nicholas and Ashley said...

That was really scarey at first. I am glad that he is okay....Atleast he didn't brake a bone playing basketball :). Memorial weekends are always so fun. Mallory looked llike such a pretty princess. We cannot wiat to see your family hopefully it will be soon.

Tara said...

Thank goodness everything is OK! I can't believe Jake doesn't even need a cast and didn't miss work- what?? I'm glad you and Mallory had a fun girls night out before the "phone call", yikes!!

Brian and Emily said...

Oh my goodness, I am so glad that Jake is okay! I am so sorry that you had to go through this ordeal. Tell Jake we hope that he is feeling better soon, sounds like he is well on his way! We need to get together soon Megan... thinking of you all!

Jane said...

Natalie told me she had talked to you on the phone today and you told her about Jake's accident, so I read the details on your blog. That is so scary! I'm glad he's all right. As much as the guys in your family (and some cousins, too) spend around horses, it's lucky there aren't more injuries. We are blessed! Wish we'd have seen you at the Moreland Cemetery Monday. Van's family met there at 11:00 a.m. and I knew they were, so that's when I went, too. Maybe next year we can plan better.

Oh, and congrats to Spence & Amber. That's awesome!
Love, Aunt Jane

Gini said...

You are so right, you never know what the future holds. I think it's important not to take anything for granted. We had a lot of fun visiting you. Every day since, Will asks if we can go to Jace's house again. So glad that Jake didn't hurt it any worse.

Emily said...

We are glad everything is ok! Trena emailed me something about Jake being hurt roping & going to the hospital, so I told Jed & you know how hard it is for him to wake up - well he got right out of bed & picked up the phone to find out what had happened. We are glad Jake is ok. Mallory is so funny. Ava said "She can wear my princess clothes when Mallory-rina comes to play with me in two weeks." :)

Emily said...

So, I get the feeling that you think Jake is somewhat strong? I beg to differ, since all I remember is him crying when I would beat the crap out of him. (By the way, it sounds like he has been milking the injury for all it was worth, after all it was just a fracture?!)

Jed

Jonathan & Rachel said...

We heard about the break-so scary! Glad he is alright-it could have been so much worse! I hate to even say this (or type it), but sometimes it's nice when they get hurt or sick and have to just stay put for a while-as long as it's nothing too serious!! So glad he's alright!